September 25, 2012

McCoy Tyner: The Real McCoy (1967)

Elvin Jones sits behind the drum kit on The Real McCoy,and as usual, his power shines through.

 I always liked Elvin's ride symbol work, he and Tony Williams were the best I think in that regard.

The real star here is tenor Saxophonist Joe Henderson, his muscular tone a perfect replacement for John Coltrane, and he does have a muscular tone that compare well without trying to sound like him. Henderson was his own man.

My favorite track is "Contemplation", a track that pianist Tyner said reminded him of a lonely man walking down the street. It's a fantastic track to meditate to as well, as I a sure the composer had in mind, it works. Henderson searches and searches his own mind, I don't know if ever found any deeper meaning, but I know I sure feel enriched by the album.

 Interestingly enough, I had a similar mood come upon me when I heard the tune for the first time. Henderson really shines on the track. "Search for Peace" is another Modal piece that stretches out on a reflective mood.

"Passion Dance" really has a hectic exotic rhythm, sort of reminds of a Thelonious Monk on amphetamines, a real upbeat piece, and a winner. "Blues on the Corner" is another Monk style piece, that is sort of a sped up"Blue Monk".



No comments:

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.