March 16, 2013

Jackie McLean: New and Old Gospel (1967)


Jackie Mclean's New and Old Gospel is one of those rare late 60's Blue Notes that wasn't considered a pay day.

The album from 1967 is also a bit of a cult item as far as avant-garde jazz albums go. Ornette Coleman, who rarely ever appeared as a side man, appears on this McLean album on trumpet no less.

I remember the first time I heard New and Old Gospel, I believe it was the Rudy Van Gelder edition CD.

I was immediately taken a back at how amateurish Coleman sounded, he's embarrassing himself I thought.

Back then "maybe 10 years or more ago" I just didn't have enough of a reference point to appreciate all styles of modern jazz, avant-garde jazz especially. Of course all these years later, Coleman's playing makes perfect sense to me, especially in coordination with McLean's Alto style.

Yes I know he still sounds inferior to McLean on the less familiar trumpet, but I'll be damned if that sound doesn't compliment McLean perfectly.

It also doesn't hurt knowing it's Ornette and not some dude of the streets. One thing about Ornette Coleman and Jackie McLean, they sure do like a primitive country blues sound.

 No matter how free or avant-garde they get, they always seem to sound bluesy, Albert Ayler was this way too. The basic root music is always deep inside them, they can't escape it.

My favorite track is the title track. Believe me, if you don't get serious spine chills on McLean's solo you might be heartless.

The rest of New and Old Gospel is very avant-garde in a Mid 60's McLean sort of way, his patented inside outside free bop approach.



No comments:

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.