August 7, 2013

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers: The Freedom Rider Blue Note 4156

 I defy any one to tell me Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers ever recorded a bad album.

It seems like each Blue Note is better than the next that's for sure.

The Freedom Rider from May of 1962, features a track "El Toro" that has a very nice Coltrane style solo from tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter.

It's obvious Wayne was influenced by Trane, but on "El Toro" is startling how he even seems to phrase like him.

Wayne still had his own tone though, a tone as recognizable as Coltrane or Sonny Rollins.
I don't think you can go wrong with these early 70's Liberty issues on vinyl, the sound is always stellar. I know its not like a first press I presume, but honestly since This is my only listening resource I can't imagine any better sound.

I can tell you that the This Liberty Copy blows any CD version away.

You you don't have to be a fortune 500 company executive to collect vintage Blue Notes, part of the fun is finding that needle in a hay stack find for for a few dollars.

These Liberty issues can usually be had for 30 bucks or less if you shop around, honestly though you, even these are on the rise price wise.

 I don't have a problem paying 30 dollars for the same music, that a rich guy's paying 2,000 for just so he can have another status symbol. Yeah I would buy those first presses too if I could.



No comments:

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.