September 21, 2013

Herbie Hancock Speak Like a Child: Liberty Address Blue Note LP

Would it be crazy to suggest Speak Like A child is Herbie Hancock's masterpiece?

It is an album that has grown on me over the years. I always liked for the Gil Evans influence.

God I would have loved to have heard Miles Davis play on this.

Herbie mentioned he wanted an album that was more uplifting, and would relay the possibilities of life, and perhaps a better future.

He wanted to remember the qualities you lose from childhood, perhaps the innocence of a first kiss? Speak Like a Child is a soft and smooth around the edges album, not light weight, and not over produced. But have a soft slow to unfold foundation. Just a gorgeous piece of music.

I don't think Herbie Hancock  ever made a bad acoustic jazz album, and every single one of his Blue Note's are worth having for sure.  My favorite tracks on Speak Like A Child are "Riot" and the title track.

This pictured vinyl copy of the album ran me less than 20 bucks, honestly I can't remember what I paid for sure, but right now you can get a copy easily for less than 30 dollars for a VG+ or better Liberty Pressing.







No comments:

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.