October 22, 2014

Jimmy Smith Back at the Chicken Shack Blue Note NY USA Stereo LP

Back at the Chicken Shack is one the greatest soul jazz albums in jazz history.

What makes this album so great is the tenor saxophonist Stanley Turrentine's sweet sound.

"Minor Chant" is my favorite on Chicken Shack. Stanley has this warm sound on tenor that affects the attentive listener emotionally.

Outside of Dexter Gordon's husky ballad tone, and possibly Johnny Hodges sweet alto sound, no one had a sweeter tone than the sugar man.

I always appreciated the late Michael Brecker, when he would from time to time throw in some pretty good homages to Stanley in his own work.

This particular copy is a later NY USA stereo pressing and has a fantastic crisp sound. The sound stage on most "Ear" NY USA copies is extremely high quality.

I have several second pressings of this particular variety that sound pretty good. I actually
sold a 47 West 63RD of Chicken Shack that I think didn't sound any better than this copy.

Organ jazz isn't everyone's cup of tea, as many a jazz snob considers that the original fusion, and believe me, some can't stand anything that's been plugged into an electric outlet.

I am OK with the Hammond B-3 Organ, I like the sound, it's can really generate a lot of heat in the hands of a master like Jimmy Smith.

If you meld it together with a heat generating sax like Stanley Turrentine, and the guitar of Kenny Burrell, it's a winning combination.

You will have to look far and wide to find a better soul jazz album, and owning a vintage copy like this is a thrill to say the least.

No comments:

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.