December 4, 2015

Horace Silver: 6 Pieces of Silver, Fake Stereo or Not, a Must Have Record on Blue Note

Recorded in 1956, and released the next year, Horace Silver's classic 6 Pieces of Silver belongs in every hard-bop collection.

The standards "Senor Blues" and "Cool Eyes" set the pace and proved that Silver away from the Jazz Messengers and Drummer Art Blakey would be a force to be reckoned with.

This copy I found in a local Dayton Ohio area record shop for 10 bucks, yeah I snagged it, re-channeled stereo Liberty copy and all.

Honestly it didn't sound bad, I have not heard an original, so can't honestly make a comparison.

 I am not an audiophile lunatic though, and I don't get all high-and-mighty about "bastardizing the sound with the re-channeled stereo" like many do. To get a copy from 1970 for 10 bucks, is a real steal in my book.

As good as Donald Byrd plays trumpet here, it's frankly Hank Mobley who steals the show. This guy knew how to blow the blues, and it never comes off as cliche. Silver is such a funky player, his piano playing is funky as all get out, and his Otis Span like blues delivery between funky dances on Senor Blues is delightful. Mobley melds perfectly with Silver's piano and compositions.

The Horns doubling up coming out of silver solo on the track will grab you and shake you, they ride it out with Louis Hays on drums in fine fashion.

Don't miss out on the trio ballad performance "Shirl," a somber mood, reminds me of something in the vein of Bill Evans trio perfprmance"Blue in Green"; it's both gorgeously understated, and drained of any hint of sentimentality, a real winner.

The bouncy boppers "Virgo" and "Camouflage", are also nice Horace Silver gospel tinged rides. Mobley and Byrd do their thing once again with Silver, Hays, and Doug Watkins on bass. I think I undervalued this record upon first listen. It's mighty good.

I thought about including "Senor Blues" below for your enjoyment, but I think the ballad "Shirl" has cast her spell on me, and should surely be better known, enjoy-



Grab a copy yourself.

2 comments:

tolly devlin said...

One of my favorite Horace Silver albums. First came across it in my uncle's record collection in the early seventies when I first started listening to jazz. Having already heard Bud Powell I heard echoes of his style in some of Horace's playing on this date. I believe his was an original copy. I have purchased it on cd since making a cassette copy those many years ago.

darkprinceofjazz said...

@ Michael Evans: It has become one of my favorites as well.

My Blog List

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.